Last updated at Thu, 26 Oct 2017 19:49:48 GMT

Last week we released our first research report, documenting how for a particular DevOps use case 99% of log data looked like signal noise. More precisely a given set of error codes that related to performance and reliability made up less than 1% of the overall log data. That’s not to say that the other 99% of log data is useless – on the contrary, in fact, it is a constant stream of data flowing from your systems with a lot of valuable info – and it usually contains valuable data for security, compliance and business use cases. For example, how many people visited your site yesterday, how many signed up, how many converted? However, our hypothesis is, for any given use case there’s generally a lot of signal noise. In other words, the other useful data gets in the way sometimes and you need to filter this out for a particular task.

To more easily allow you to extract data that’s useful for your use case, we recently announced the launch of our Logentries Partner Add-On program. These add-ons, which are preconfigured to work with Logentries, provide users with instant insights into relevant data from other applications that they’re using within their applications. Our first Add-ons will grant access to this data for existing add-ons for the Heroku platform.

An Add-on is a way to get the most out of the tools and services you’re using.  They provide built in Tags and real time Reports which show you the status of how your add-ons are performing, and how they are interacting with other components of your application.  By using a Logentries Add-on script you can quickly generate key Reports and Tags that make your logs easier to understand and even more useful because you can see how some of the tools you’re using are affecting your service or application.

There are a couple of parts to Add-on scripts.  Tags, which allow you to quickly filter events which matter the most to our Partner add-ons and which give you greater insight into what they’re currently doing.  And setting up Reports, which allow you to make more sense out of the analytics being created by the add-on.  It also makes it easier to setup Alerts that might be important based the tags being generated.

Logentries is introducing a Platform Add-on program.  This is a way for our partners to create simple Add-ons that will help users of your tools and services better understand the log data you generate.   Logentries Add-ons allow you to generate key Tags, Alerts, and Reports that will help your users to better visual their logs and manage their services.

What Add-ons Are Available?

The first three partners participating in the add-on program are all on the Heroku platform.  They are Heroku Postgres, Adept Scale and CloudAMQP, and they are able to provide real-time Reports which show you how your add-ons are performing.

Ever wondered how to track when your Adept Scale Dyno has scaled up? You can now automatically log your Adept Scale events to Logentries. Then our Adept Scale logs and Tags will quickly show you these events in real-time and present them in a neat and presentable graphical form.

Better Business Intelligence Data with Logentries Partners

Similarly for Heroku Postgres you can now can view these log errors and performance issues in a single dashboard and perform deep dives to investigate specific errors automatically tagged by Logentries. This will allow you to isolate where your slow queries are occurring in your logs which will better enable you to deal with the matter.

Better Business Intelligence Data with Logentries Partners

For CloudAMQP, users can decouple, distribute and scale their Heroku applications with a single, common source of log data, and view preconfigured event tags for RabbitMQ, all within Logentries. As a result, you will be able to better track the status of your messaging.

Better Business Intelligence Data with Logentries Partners

How Do I Setup an Add-on?

The Setup for using the Add-ons is quite easy:

  1. First you download one of your Logentries Add-on scripts (
  2. You can run it by running the following command: python ACCOUNT_KEY where ACCOUNT_KEY is your account key which can be found here.
  3. To run simply call python ACCOUNT_KEY


As a developer of a tool or service you can help your clients get more out of their log data by joining the Logentries Add-on program.  Logentries Add-ons allow you to generate key Tags, Alerts, and Reports that will help your users to better visual their logs and manage their services.

Do you have an add-on you would like us to publish?

Sign up today to join the Logentries Add-On program