Last updated at Mon, 31 Jul 2017 20:22:56 GMT
With so much emphasis on shopping this time of year, there's also been a growing movement to encourage giving to charitable causes. This movement, started in part by the United Nations Foundation, is called Giving Tuesday—and this year it's December 2. To participate, people take a photo of themselves holding a sign saying why they give to charity as a way to encourage others to do the same (these photos are called "UNselfies"... get it?)
Why are we participating in Giving Tuesday?
We at Rapid7 believe in giving back, and at least once a year we like to support a charitable foundation. In the past, we've proudly supported Hackers for Charity and the EFF. For Giving Tuesday, we wanted to support a foundation with global impact that reflects themes we care about. Security has no borders—and so we've picked Médecins Sans Frontières (also known as Doctors Without Borders) as the charity we'll support.
Also, we couldn't help but notice we happen to share an acronym: Médecins Sans Frontières and Metasploit Framework, both known as MSF... neat, right? That's why we're calling our drive to support Médecins Sans Frontières tomorrow #MSF4MSF.
On December 2, 2014, for every photo ("UNselfie") on Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or Vine — tagged with #MSF4MSF and #GivingTuesday — we will donate $5 (USD) to Médecins Sans Frontières. If you're wearing Rapid7 or Metasploit swag in your photo, we'll gladly double that donation to $10. The more people that get involved, the greater impact we can all make together.
HOW TO PARTICIPATE IN #MSF4MSF ON DECEMBER 2, 2014
1) Take a photo of yourself/your group holding a sign explaining why you support giving to Médecins Sans Frontières—we have an example sign you can print and fill out right here:
Click the image for a PDF sign you can print and use.
2) Upload your photo (or "UNselfie," if you like) to Twitter, Facebook, Instagram, or Vine and make sure to tag it with #MSF4MSF and #GivingTuesday.Make sure your post is public or we won't be able to find it!
3) That's it! We'll be tallying all the posts on social media with the #MSF4MSF hashtag and will count each eligible post as a $5 donation to Médecins Sans Frontières. (Or $10 for your post if you have Rapid7 and/or Metasploit swag.)
If you need any help, feel free to reach out on our official channels on social media:
See you on #GivingTuesday! - @mvarmazis
The Fine Print:
- You don't have to be a Rapid7 customer or Metasploit Framework user to join, although we highly encourage both groups to participate! This is open to everyone.
- Your #MSF4MSF UNselfie is eligible as a donation as long as it is posted on December 2, 2014 in your local timezone.
- Your post (Tweet, Facebook post, Instagram, or Vine) must be public so we can see it, and it must be tagged with #MSF4MSF so we can find it. Sending a direct reply to one of our official handles without tagging your post won't count, nor will commented or emailed submissions -- sorry!
- Group photos are welcome! Just keep in mind that one photo tagged with #MSF4MSF counts as one submission, regardless of the number of people in it—however, we'll gladly find another way to reward you for your creativity (awesome swag, anyone?)
- We'd like to keep it one submission per person, but we certainly can't stop you from participating multiple times. You'll have to really get our attention to convince us that you're eligible for more than one submission, so feel free to get creative!
- Unfortunately our coffers aren't limitless and we do have to cap donations at $2,000, but if we get overwhelming support for this campaign we'll think of something to amplify our impact.