APSB11-06: Security updates available for Adobe Reader and Acrobat (CVE-2011-0609)
|9||(AV:N/AC:M/Au:N/C:C/I:C/A:C)||March 20, 2011||March 31, 2011||February 12, 2015|
A critical vulnerability has been identified in the authplay.dll component that ships with Adobe Reader and Acrobat X (10.0.1) and earlier 10.x and 9.x versions for Windows and Macintosh operating systems. This vulnerability (CVE-2011-0609), as referenced in Security Advisory APSA11-01, could cause a crash and potentially allow an attacker to take control of the affected system. There are reports that this vulnerability is being exploited in the wild in targeted attacks via a Flash (.swf) file embedded in a Microsoft Excel (.xls) file delivered as an email attachment. At this time, Adobe is not aware of attacks targeting Adobe Reader and Acrobat. Adobe Reader X Protected Mode mitigations would prevent an exploit of this kind from executing.
Adobe recommends users of Adobe Reader X (10.0.1) for Macintosh update to Adobe Reader X (10.0.2). For users of Adobe Reader 9.4.2 for Windows and Macintosh, Adobe has made available the update, Adobe Reader 9.4.3. Adobe recommends users of Adobe Acrobat X (10.0.1) for Windows and Macintosh update to Adobe Acrobat X (10.0.2). Adobe recommends users of Adobe Acrobat 9.4.2 for Windows and Macintosh update to Adobe Acrobat 9.4.3. Because Adobe Reader X Protected Mode would prevent an exploit of this kind from executing, we are planning to address this issue in Adobe Reader X for Windows with the next quarterly security update for Adobe Reader, currently scheduled for June 14, 2011.
(Note: Adobe Reader 9.x for UNIX, Adobe Reader for Android, and Adobe Reader and Acrobat 8.x are not affected by this issue.)
The next quarterly security updates for Adobe Reader and Acrobat are currently scheduled for June 14, 2011. Today's security updates are out-of-cycle updates.
Unspecified vulnerability in Adobe Flash Player 10.2.154.13 and earlier on Windows, Mac OS X, Linux, and Solaris and 10.1.106.16 and earlier on Android, and Authplay.dll (aka AuthPlayLib.bundle) in Adobe Reader and Acrobat 9.x through 9.4.2 and 10.x through 10.0.1 on Windows and Mac OS X, allows remote attackers to execute arbitrary code or cause a denial of service (application crash) via crafted Flash content, as demonstrated by a .swf file embedded in an Excel spreadsheet, and as exploited in the wild in March 2011.
Free Nexpose Download
Discover, prioritize, and remediate security risks today!
- Security update for Adobe AIR (CVE-2011-0609)
- APSB11-06: Security updates available for Adobe Reader and Acrobat (CVE-2011-0609)
- Sun Patch: JDS 3_x86: Macromedia Flash Player Plugin Patch
- SUSE Linux Security Vulnerability: CVE-2011-0609
- FreeBSD: linux-flashplugin -- remote code execution vulnerability (CVE-2011-0609)
- APSA11-01: Security Advisory for Adobe Flash Player, Adobe Reader and Acrobat (CVE-2011-0609)
- SUSE Linux Security Advisory: SUSE-SR:2011:005
- Gentoo Linux: CVE-2011-0609: Adobe Flash Player: Multiple vulnerabilities
- RHSA-2011:0372: flash-plugin security update
- Sun Patch: JDS 3: Macromedia Flash Player Plugin Patch
- APSB11-05: Security update available for Adobe Flash Player (CVE-2011-0609)