USN-1693-1: OpenJDK 7 vulnerabilities
|10||(AV:N/AC:L/Au:N/C:C/I:C/A:C)||January 09, 2013||May 05, 2013||May 05, 2013|
Multiple vulnerabilities in Oracle Java 7 before Update 11 allow remote attackers to execute arbitrary code by (1) using the public getMBeanInstantiator method in the JmxMBeanServer class to obtain a reference to a private MBeanInstantiator object, then retrieving arbitrary Class references using the findClass method, and (2) using the Reflection API with recursion in a way that bypasses a security check by the java.lang.invoke.MethodHandles.Lookup.checkSecurityManager method due to the inability of the sun.reflect.Reflection.getCallerClass method to skip frames related to the new reflection API, as exploited in the wild in January 2013, as demonstrated by Blackhole and Nuclear Pack, and a different vulnerability than CVE-2012-4681 and CVE-2012-3174. NOTE: some parties have mapped the recursive Reflection API issue to CVE-2012-3174, but CVE-2012-3174 is for a different vulnerability whose details are not public as of 20130114. CVE-2013-0422 covers both the JMX/MBean and Reflection API issues. NOTE: it was originally reported that Java 6 was also vulnerable, but the reporter has retracted this claim, stating that Java 6 is not exploitable because the relevant code is called in a way that does not bypass security checks. NOTE: as of 20130114, a reliable third party has claimed that the findClass/MBeanInstantiator vector was not fixed in Oracle Java 7 Update 11. If there is still a vulnerable condition, then a separate CVE identifier might be created for the unfixed issue.
Free Nexpose Download
Discover, prioritize, and remediate security risks today!
- RHSA-2013:0626: java-1.7.0-ibm security update
- RHSA-2013:0165: java-1.7.0-openjdk security update
- Oracle Security Alert: Java Runtime Environment Libraries vulnerability (CVE-2012-3174)
- ELSA-2013-0165 Important: Oracle Linux java-1.7.0-openjdk security update
- Vulnerabilities deemed not relevant on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 5
- RHSA-2013:0156: java-1.7.0-oracle security update
- Amazon Linux AMI: Security patch for java-1.7.0-openjdk (ALAS-2013-151) (CVE-2012-3174)
- Vulnerabilities deemed not relevant on Red Hat Enterprise Linux 6
- SUSE Linux Security Vulnerability: CVE-2012-3174
- SUSE Linux Security Vulnerability: CVE-2013-0422
- Oracle Security Alert: Java Runtime Environment Libraries vulnerability (CVE-2013-0422)