Last updated at Tue, 25 Jul 2017 13:38:14 GMT
Update: Kali Linux now superseded BackTrack as a platform. We strongly recommend using Kali Linux over BackTrack if you are going to run Metasploit. More info here.
As of version 5 R3, BackTrack comes pre-installed with Metasploit 4.4, so it's now easier to use Metasploit Community Edition or Metasploit Pro on BackTrack. Here is how it's done:
- After BackTrack boots, enter startx to get into the UI.
- Install BackTrack in a virtual machine using the Install BackTrack icon in the top left corner. This is recommended so that Metasploit remembers its product key; otherwise, you would have to register Metasploit each time.
- Log in with user root, password toor. Enter startx.
- In the main menu, open BackTrack / Exploitation Tools / Network Exploitation Tools / Metasploit Framework and select start msfpro, which starts the service for the commercial Metasploit UI.
- The Metasploit service is started when you see the following screen:
- Open the Firefox browser from the Internet menu.
- Enter the URL https://localhost:3790. Note that the connection must be https.
- You'll see "This Connection is Untrusted". If the server cannot be reached, the Metasploit server may not be started. Please wait a few seconds and try again.
- Since the Metasploit UI uses a user-generated, unsigned SSL certificate, Firefox complains that the connection is untrusted. Click on I understand the risks, Add Exception..., and Confirm Security Exception.
- Metasploit is now initializing and creating the exploit database. Depending on your hardware, this may take up to 10 minutes. You may also see this screen when you launch Metasploit the second time, but the startup time should only be a couple of minutes at the most.
- You should also turn off the Application Boundary Enforcer since it causes some issues with the registration. Open the same NoScript menu, choose NoScript Options, choose Advanced tab, choose ABE sub-tab, and uncheck Enable ABE (Application Boundary Enforcer). Confirm the dialog with OK.
- Enter a username and password, and click Create Account. You should now see the following screen:
- Click on Get Product Key.
- Choose either Metasploit Pro Trial if you want to get a test of the fully featured product, or Metasploit Community if you're working for an SMB or are a student and need a limited but free edition.
- Complete the registration screen.
- You're now back at this screen:
- Within 5 minutes of completing the form, you'll receive an email with a product key. Copy it to the text field under number 2, then click Activate License. You should now see this success message:
- Now that you've registered Metasploit, you have access to the update packages, which give you access to new features, exploits, and bug fixes. To update Metasploit, follow these steps:
- In the Administration menu, choose Software Updates.
- Click Check for Updates.
- Click Install.
- Repeat the process until the software update reports that there are no more updates available.
Congratulations, you're good to go!