Last updated at Mon, 31 Jan 2022 15:23:58 GMT
We laughed, we cried, we added over 750 new detections. It's been a rollercoaster of a year for everyone. So let's have some fun with our 2021 year in review — shall we?
The last year was an exciting one for InsightIDR, Rapid7's industry-leading extended detection and response (XDR) and SIEM solution. We used the past 12 months to continually invest in the product to help customers level up their security programs and achieve success in their desired outcomes. A major highlight for InsightIDR was being named as a Leader in the 2021 Gartner Magic Quadrant for SIEM for the second year in a row. We are honored to be recognized as one of the six 2021 Magic Quadrant Leaders — and in celebration, we'd like to announce a few awards ourselves for 2021, high-school-superlative style.
Presenting our 2021 superlatives (drum roll, please)...
Most likely to be overworked: Cybersecurity professionals
“We need more time!" exhausted cybersecurity specialists shout into the void. Luckily, we deployed our Insight Agent into the void, so we heard you. While we were in there, we also picked up the following alerts:
- There aren't enough people to do it all.
- More than 3 out of 4 CISOs have 16 or more cybersecurity products, and 12% have 46 or more (my head is spinning).
- It is getting more difficult to recruit and hire new professionals onto security teams.
- The workload is growing, and teams are suffering from burnout.
We heard the problem — and took action with our products. Our product updates focused on the following:
- Improved detection and response capabilities: We added strong detections with a more comprehensive view of threats.
- Greater efficiency: We helped teams cut down the number of disparate tools and events they have to manage, providing automation and leveling up analysts by giving them embedded guidance and a common experience.
- Improved scale and agility: When your organization evolves and grows, so do we.
- Customization: Every environment is unique, and we want to make sure InsightIDR not only works well but works the way you want it.
All sounds good, right? Let's keep going down the list to see how we continued to evolve our product to align these themes.
Most likely to (help you) succeed: MITRE ATT&CK mapping in InsightIDR
Red pill or blue pill… Psych! They are both the same pill. Welcome to the matrix — the MITRE ATT&CK matrix, that is.
As of Q4 2021, all of our Attacker Behavior Analytics (ABA) map to the ATT&CK framework in InsightIDR.
OK, great… so what does that mean for you?
MITRE ATT&CK matrix for detection rules: Within the Detection Rules tab, you now have a direct view into where you have coverage with Rapid7's out-of-the-box detection library across common attacker tactics and techniques, and you can also quickly unlock more context and intelligence about detections.
Refreshed Investigation Management experience: Now, you can click into the new MITRE ATT&CK tab of the Evidence panel in Investigation to see descriptions of each tactic, technique, and sub-technique curated by MITRE. Then go directly to attack.mitre.org for more information.
Best glow-up: Our Investigation Management experience
A security analyst's time is precious and limited. That's why we upgraded our Investigation Management experience to help you manage, prioritize, and triage investigations faster. Make sure you check out the following:
- A revamped user interface with expandable cards displaying investigation information
- The ability to view, set, and update the priority, status, or disposition of an investigation
- Filtering by the following fields: date range, assignee, status, priority level
- That sweet MITRE integration we talked about earlier
Most sophisticated: Our customization capabilities
InsightIDR customers now have more customization and increased visibility for ABA detections. We're continuing to make improvements and additions to our detections management experience.
- Detection rules: Filter detection rules by threat group, rule behavior, and attributes for more visibility into your alerts and investigations.
- Create exceptions to a detection rule: With exceptions for ABA alerts, you can filter out noise very precisely using data from the alert.
- New detection rules management interface: With this new interface, you can see a priority field for each detection provided by InsightIDR with new actions available.
- Customizable priorities for UBA detection rules and custom alerts: Associate a rule priority (Critical, High, Medium, or Low) for all UBA and custom alert detection rules.
- A simplified way to create exceptions: We added a new section to detection rule details within "create exception" to better inform on which data to write exceptions against. So now, when you go to write exceptions, you have all the information you may need within one window.
Most likely to brighten up your day: Pre-built dashboards and enhanced search capabilities
InsightIDR's Dashboard Library has a growing repository of pre-built dashboards to save you time and eliminate the need for you to build them from scratch. Our pre-built dashboards are accessible to all users. We added the following dashboards to provide you with immediate value, out of the box.
- Compliance (PCI, HIPAA, ISO)
- General Security (Firewall, Asset Authentication)
- Security Tools (Okta, Palo Alto, Crowdstrike)
- Enhanced Network Traffic Analysis
- Cloud Security
Speaking of saving time, we continued to make investments in Log Search to make searching for actionable information faster and easier for customers. Spend less time searching and more time fighting off the bad guys. You've never seen Spiderman spend an hour searching an address in a phone book, have you?
Power couple: IntSights Threat Intelligence and Rapid7's Insight Platform
This year Rapid7 acquired IntSights, a leading provider of external threat intelligence and remediation. Their flagship external threat intelligence product, Threat Command, is now part of our Rapid7 portfolio.
Threat Command allows any SecOps team, regardless of size or capability maturity, to expand identification and remediation across an ever-expanding attack surface, while automating threat mitigation.
IntSights is already leveling up threat intelligence at Rapid7 — and we are so excited for more synergies on the road ahead in 2022.
We know this romance is going to last. Congrats to the lovely couple!
Brightest future: Rapid7 customers
Our 2022 New Year's resolution is to not just be your technology vendor but to be your strategic partner. Complacency is not in our vocabulary, so make sure you keep up to date with all of our upcoming releases as we continue to level up your InsightIDR experience with more capabilities, context, customization while keeping our intuitive user experience.
Our customers' outcomes define our success, and we wouldn't have it any other way. We are looking forward to accelerating together.
Have a great year!
- Demystifying XDR: How Humans and Machines Join Forces in Threat Response
- What's New in InsightIDR: Q4 2021 in Review
- InsightIDR Was XDR Before XDR Was Even a Thing: An Origin Story
- Building Threat-Informed Defenses: Rapid7 Experts Share Their Thoughts on MITRE ATT&CK